This event is directed by ARE Event Productions
on behalf of the Albany Running Exchange
It offers Half Marathon and Six Mile trail races. The races are open to all ages.
There is also a half mile kids race for 12 and under.
The event is also part of the ARE Grand Prix Trail Series and the Western Massachusetts Athletic Club Grand Tree Series.
Race Day Schedule
- 8:00am: Day-of registration and "packet pickup" opens (Packet pickup is exclusively on race day from 8am until 9:15am.)
- 9:00am: START - Gorilla Chase Kids Race (~800 Meters)
- 9:15am: Day-of registration and packet pickup closes
- 9:30am: START - Squirrelly Six Mile and Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon
- 11:00am: Squirrelly 6m Awards Ceremony
- 12:00pm: Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon Awards Ceremony
Half Marathon participants not past 5.75m in 1:17:30 (13:30 pace) will be redirected to finish the 6m.
General Start/Finish/Parking Map
The event is held at John Boyd Thacher State Park
in Voorheesville, NY, 15 miles from Albany.
Address for GPS:
1 Hailes Cave Rd
Voorheesville, NY 12186
Parking at Thacher State Park
Thacher State Park now charges a $6/vehicle fee. This fee can either be paid at the time of registration or in-person at the event.
As it is a per vehicle fee, we encourage you to carpool to keep both the environment and your wallet greener. :)
Get Ready for a Great Time!
Your enjoyment is our number one goal. Here's some of the ways in which we make it fun:
- Costumed volunteers
- Running through the ARE's own version of a graveyard
- Parts of the course will be decorated in the spirit of Halloween
- An eat-till-you-drop cook-out following the race
- The race also features special categories to entertain and maximize your fun (see the Awards page)
Atmosphere! It's unlike any other race you've been to!
All pre-registered participants receive a merchandise giveaway.
All finishers also receive the coveted gorilla medal (pictured below) along with an all-you-can-eat feast following the race.